MonoMac projects fail to compile: ibtool exited with code 1 - Unable to start / Developer / usr / bin / ibtool (no such file)

I am taking my first steps in MonoMac.

But I stopped at the beginning due to some configuration error. I created a new ManoMac project in MonoDevelop and then tried some other MonaMac xamarin projects from GitHub, but I always get this compilation:

Error: Unable to start / Developer / usr / bin / ibtool (no such file). ibtool exited with code 1

My config:

Operating system: Mac OS X 10.7.3 MonoDevelop Runtime: Mono 2.10.8 (tarball Mon Dec 19 17:43:18 EST 2011) GTK 2.24.5 GTK # ( Mono for Android not installed Developer tools Apple: Xcode 4.3.1 (1176) Build 4E1019 Monotuch: 5.2.5 MonoDevelop.MonoMac

All my Monotouch projects compile fine and I have no problem with the latest XCode (following Xamarin instructions, I have successfully updated XCode and moved it from legacy developer folder to application folder and downloaded updated developer command line tools from apple).

I have tried reinstalling MonoDevelop but with no success. I always get: "Error: ibtool returned error code 1".

Any help is appreciated.


source to share

3 answers

It looks like the MonoMac addin has never been updated to work with Xcode 4.3.

The temporary shutdown is to set up symbolic links at the appropriate locations in / Developer.

I found a way in the MonoMac forum:

I report it here:

When using MonoMac and Xcode 4.3, the current beta MD fails with the ibtool error.

The solution is to enter the following commands in the terminal console:

sudo rm / usr / bin / ibtool

and then:

sudo ln -s / Applications / / Contents / Developer / usr / bin / ibtool / usr / bin / ibtool

It compiles fine now.



This issue is caused by the Xcode 4.3 installer not updating Xcode symbolic links correctly to point to the active Xcode version. You can fix it with the following command:

sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/


There is a fix for this in this upcoming MonoDevelop 2.8.8 release. You can get it from the beta update channel.



I got a similar error when running Xamarin on Xcode 6.2 and resolved the issue by reinstalling the same version of Xcode again replacing the old version with the suggestion in this post: xcode -select active developer directory error on OSX Mavericks .

I may have caused this problem as I renamed the Xcode application. I have several versions installed, and I tried to keep them in line.



All Articles